What exactly is Pinterest? It’s a social media website that allows you to “pin” images that you like and share them with friends (called “repinning”). This is great for businesses like artists, jewelers, photographers, fashionistas, home decorators, etc. Users that like your images will “pin them” and share them with their friends.
If you’re an expert in your field, it’s a good way to illustrate your knowledge and to get credibility and exposure. But what if you’re not a business solely focused on visual presentation. How can you use Pinterest to your advantage?
Pinterest can be a great way to drive traffic to your site, even outperforming Facebook. So what are some things you can do to take advantage of that?
- Sell your products. Interact with your users. Showcase photography of what you have to offer. If you’re a realtor, show off your homes. If you’re an engineer, show off some of the things you’ve designed. Show some images of your staff at work. Put up anything that your users might find interesting, and draw them in.
- Hold a contest. Have users choose captions for photos that you’ve pinned. Choose the best caption,
and give the person who created it a prize or discount on one of your products or services. Let people pin images of themselves with your product, and choose your favorite from among them. This can
be a good way to find out which of your products is most popular too.
- Give your clients inspiration. Pin photos of your services and people using your services so that people can understand visually why you offer a legit service and why it would be worth their time to utilize that service. Brainstorm ways that your clients can use your products or services.
- Get some market research done. Pin pictures of products or services you offer and get people talking about what they like or don’t like about them. Get them to share with their friends and offer their opinions. Make sure that you’re following these repins, though, so that you can address any potential problem areas quickly.
- Let people discover you. Raise awareness, expose your brand to a wider audience, let people find out why your product or service rises above the rest. If you’re a realtor, apartment management company,
product manufacturer, or otherwise have a large gallery of photos on your website, integrate that site with Pinterest so that people can pin your photos and talk about why they like what they see.
There’s no doubt that Pinterest is on the rise. From images of delicious foods to stylish clothing, to fantastic new products, there is no limit to the images that you may find on Pinterest, or to the way you can use these to promote your products, images, and relationships with your social-networking-friendly customers.