When to choose a mobile website vs mobile app
We often have clients come to us asking us to build them a mobile "app." In some instances, an app is the best solution for addressing your customer's mobile needs, but we felt this would be a good opportunity to explain why we often recommend building a mobile website instead of a mobile app:
- Apps are expensive; you have to build a unique app for each major platform in order for it to be universally accessible (Apple, Android, etc...)
- You have to pay the major providers to have your app in their store...this makes it even more expensive.
- It can cost tens of thousands of dollars to develop a simple app.
- Ongoing support and maintenance - once your app launches, you have to pay programmers to constantly update your app to keep up with current standards.
- Users want apps that they will use on a regular basis, and they want apps that will serve a unique new purpose. Providing the same information in an app that you provide on your website will not motivate users to download your app. Most small businesses don't have a true purpose for an app; therefore it's difficult to justify the cost.
- Building a mobile version of your website will create a better, more universal experience for your mobile customers, and you can do many of the same things in a mobile website that you can do in an app. In fact, many apps are simply websites housed inside of an app icon.